Kevin wrote:
>>I am curious if anyone has had any luck with either Dell or HP rackmount
>>servers running OpenBSD 3.6 or 3.7 with SATA drives?  (or others if you've
>>had success)
> I have had no luck with the embedded SATA controller in rackmount Dell
> products; it comes up in PIO mode (no DMA), crippling performance.
>
> As Dell provides two PCI slits in even their 1U boxes, I added a standalone
> PCI SATA controller, carefully re-routed the SATA data cables, and all was
> well.  Other than the SATA controller, no other compatibility issues with
> the PE750 or PE1750, and I'm about to pick up a few new PE1850s based
> on endorsements from other misc@ readers.

Our Dell SATA 750's say this:
# dmesg | grep wd
wd0 at pciide0 channel 1 drive 0: <Maxtor 6Y080M0>
wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA, 76293MB, 156250000 sectors
wd0(pciide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 5
dkcsum: wd0 matched BIOS disk 80
root on wd0a
rootdev=0x0 rrootdev=0x300 rawdev=0x302

They seem to work nicely with the internal SATA disks and Obsd3.7.

--
Janne Johansson
Sektionen fvr IT & Media, Stockholms Universitet