I have just configured a VPN tunnel between two OpenBSD firewalls /
gateways following the VPN man page nearly word-for-word.  All is
working well... mostly:

On either end, on machines behind the firewall, I can connect to any
service on any machine on the remote end.

However, if I am on the the firewall machines themselves, I can ping
machines on the remote end, but service connection fails.

for instance, I can ssh to a box on the remote end from a machine
behind the firewall, but if i attempt to ssh to the same remote box
from the firewall itself, i get a "connection refused".  This is true
on both ends.

Are there additional rules I need to put into pf for this type of
connectivity?  What am I missing?