Hello everybody...

I had some trouble with the copy of /usr/src I fetched and so I had to
refetch it. But now I'm not sure if I included all patches (even I've e.g.
no em-Device (Btw: why are just critical patches listed?)).

I guess there's no "system" to identify if somebody applied a patch or if
he/she dosn't so I thought about a "easy" system wich could be
implemented.

The ports-tree uses checksums to check the integrety of a port.
So why can't a script include all Checksums for e.g. patches?

/usr/ports/infrastructure/out-of-date checks e.g. the packages.
Somebody could write a shellscript wich includes the Checksums for a
compiled (and patched) binary for each architecture. E.g. the EM-Driver...
The file includes also just the Checksums for files wich where patched.

That is (ofcourse) not the "best" solution but it could be implemented
fastly and it would work.

So if somebody (like me) f**ked up his copy of src he could refetch the
copy and get the latest copy of that script and it would just tell me e.g.
"Checksum for */pci/em missmatch" (I don#t know the complete path so don#t
critic that).

That would work if the users use just "make build" and if they don#t play
with compiler-settings.

Maybe I'm wrong because I don#t know how CPU-optimize the code is so maybe
the binary is a different one for e.g. AMD-Athlon CPUs (e.g. compared to
INTEL P4). But that's something wich could be solved because sysctl or
dmesg could be used to get the right CPU.

It is NO auto-patch solution but it would help to get e.g. the critical
patches and to notice if they where already apllied or not.

I would be happy if somebody else (even this somebody would "kill -9" my
idea) would answer and tell me his oppinion but the current status "sucks"
a lot and it could be fixed easily (I think).

I repeat: It is no "autopatch" solution and it should just help to make
sure if the patches from stable where applied already or not.
Sure it wont work for users who modify some parts (e.g. Apache) but for
all other users it should work fine I think..

Kind regards,
Sebastian