On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Frank Bax wrote:

> Whitelist them manually?
>          http://greylisting.org/whitelisting.shtml

Which is what I'm doing at the office.

There's 2 things that greylisting is good at.  The first thing is stopping
spam and worms.  The second thing is exposing every misconfigured mail
server and harebrained mail balancing scheme out there that you speak with
on a regular basis.

Rather than hacking up spamd, we have an extra "no rdr" in our pf.conf
that ties to a table.  That table has subnets and hosts in it, with
comments that document who that server belongs to.  Gmail is one example
of a particularly frustrating set of mail servers to deal with.  Two /24's
(at least that I can recall off the top of my head).  And it seems like a
mail retry comes from damn near every IP if greylisting bounces it.

I actually like the extra table method because we can comment in it, and
let spamd manage the db without any interference from the sysadmins.

--
Signing off,

Joseph C. Bender
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"Does the government fear us?  Or do we fear the government?  When the
people fear the government, tyranny has found victory. The federal
government is our servant, not our master."  ---Thomas Jefferson