Some things in this scenario just don't ring true and I'm thinking this
is just a big hoax.

Firstly, you expressed concern in one of your original posts that your
job was likely to be at risk if the problem wasn't solved quickly with
little or no additional expenditure.

Then we discover that "your boss" has bought this gee whiz bang SMP PC
and insists this must be used for as the mailserver.

And then you divulge that it has to handle 10,000 mail users. This, in
itself isn't a particularly large mailserver, but does suggest you are
in a rather large organization.

Now, correct me where I'm wrong here, but I'm assuming your boss knows
"diddly squat" about IT. Which would suggest you are in charge of the IT
Department? You are prepared to run production servers with inadequate
testing of the hardware/software/OS combination with little thought for
appropriate redundancy on machines that would not be out of place on a
gamer's desktop and may well have been won in competition.

If this is the case, you probably should lose your job. An organization
of the size you suggest, would certainly have an IT Department size and
budget sufficient for the task, even if it is not "extravagant". And you
head up this group of people?

It seems to me it is time you sought vocational guidance to find a
calling in life for which you are qualified and suited.