hahaha. in one of my sleep deprived moments a couple years ago.. i was
messing with kernel compiles and such, when i mistakenly did... rm -rf
/etc instead of rm -rf etc

of course i immediately realized this and hit ctrl + c

needless to say, the box was unimportant (THANK GOD) and this was back
when 3.1 just got released. either way, the box ran for about a month
after that without any problems. then one day i wanted to add a user
and found i couldn't.

ah, the stupidity of working sleep deprived for days =/