Mh, I just deleted some text I wrote to 1) and 2), because most if it was already said. It boils down to "personal/administrational preference and/or policy", "the current defaults are just fine and logical" and "trivial to change".

Dave Feustel wrote:
Also modify adduser so that the home directory
permissions of new users are set to drwx------ instead of drwxr-xr-x

chmod 700 /etc/skel

No real need for changing any scripts, and besides, home directories with a default mode of 700 would *really* annoy me.

"Grab foo.txt fom my home direc... oh, wait, sorry - I have to log in and throw it in /tmp or something."

This kind of paranoia adds nothing to security (~/.ssh and others that need it are already set to restrictive permissions), and there is no privacy from root no matter what. The rest is, again, personal preference and/or something about local policies.

Moritz