Dave Feustel wrote:
And there are also still numerous ways of breaking OpenBSD inspite of sane defaults and exploit mitigation techniques in place.

Is there any way I can tell whether my system has been broken as you describe?

This really depends ... I can't tell specifics. I mentioned this because of this anecdote: A pal once had to deal with a probably-owned OpenBSD box, because his clueless co-admin installed an outdated, vulnerable MySQL server by hand (not related to ports/packages at all), and likely configured it in a bad way, too. Some script kiddie managed to exploit whatever was going on there. He found out quickly because of an /etc/shadow file and maybe some other signs, IIRC ... I suspect that the cluelessness/idiocy of the s'kiddie, or simply the nature of the attack, resulted in no further damage, however, he reinstalled the box anyways and bitchslapped the co-admin.

I'd like to be more specific, but there wasn't done any forensic analysis of the attack, and it's been a while, too. I think it was an OBSD 3.4 installation.

My point is mostly that, if you try really hard, you can make an OpenBSD box insecure. OpenBSD can also not help you when you run an OpenBSD-aware trojan as root, for example.

Moritz