On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 00:23:48 +0200 (CEST), [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

>> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 12:49:49 -0500, "Bob Bostwick \(Lists\)"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>     I am implementing an FTP server and need it to use SSL/TLS.  I
>>>know ftpd doesn't support this, and was wondering if anyone had any
>>>suggestions on an alternative.  I know SFTP exists, but that is not an
>>>option, as the clients are not going to change.  I know pure-ftpd
>>>supports this, but didn't know if there was anything better or not.
>>
>> As you already seem to know, the best answer is to use something
>> that's reasonably secure like SFTP.
>>
>> Since FTP over SSL/TLS is going to require configuration changes on
>> the client side and possibly upgrades of client-side software, why not
>> just require a new client that supports SFTP?
>>
>> There are free SFTP clients out there for most platforms, heck there's
>> even at least one free client for MS-Windows (FileZilla on sourceforge
>> comes to mind).
>>
>> You're talking about hanging yet another box on the net supporting an
>> outdated, insecure and most importantly, difficult (often blocked or
>> messed up by NAT) protocol. Wrapping FTP in SSL/TLS dose help some of
>> the problems but it does not solve all of them.
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>> JCR
>
>I'm sorry but there's no e.g. official "AnnonSFTP"-Patch/Modification for
>OpenSSH. As far as I know you're not able to splitt the SFTP from the
>SSH-Account (I don't mention any unofficial Patchs wich may work).
>
>That's why FTPS-Servers, or at least FTP-Servers wich support SSL/TLS, are
>still in use. The best example is maybe the AnonCVS-"Hack" you've to apply
>if you wanna set up an AnonCVS-Server.
>So as far as I know every SFTP-User needs an SSH-Account.
>FTP-Servers have offen a seperated Account-File wich isn't related to the
>official System-Accounts at the Server.
>
>Kind regards,
>Sebastian

Thanks Sebastian. You stated important info that I failed to mention.

I don't mean to be confrontational but personally I didn't think there
was any point in securing anon/public access?

Since the original poster is trying to secure logins, anon/public
access is kind of outside of the scope -probably the reason why I
forgot to mention the ssh accounts. ;-)

JCR