On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 01:10:42 +0200 (CEST), [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

>>>I'm sorry but there's no e.g. official "AnnonSFTP"-Patch/Modification for
>>>OpenSSH. As far as I know you're not able to splitt the SFTP from the
>>>SSH-Account (I don't mention any unofficial Patchs wich may work).
>>>
>>>That's why FTPS-Servers, or at least FTP-Servers wich support SSL/TLS,
>>> are
>>>still in use. The best example is maybe the AnonCVS-"Hack" you've to
>>> apply
>>>if you wanna set up an AnonCVS-Server.
>>>So as far as I know every SFTP-User needs an SSH-Account.
>>>FTP-Servers have offen a seperated Account-File wich isn't related to the
>>>official System-Accounts at the Server.
>>>
>>>Kind regards,
>>>Sebastian
>>
>> Thanks Sebastian. You stated important info that I failed to mention.
>>
>> I don't mean to be confrontational but personally I didn't think there
>> was any point in securing anon/public access?
>>
>> Since the original poster is trying to secure logins, anon/public
>> access is kind of outside of the scope -probably the reason why I
>> forgot to mention the ssh accounts. ;-)
>>
>> JCR
>
>Yes but why shouldn't "we" secure anonymous-connections also?
>Or if I do e.g. a little Webhosting Service. I wont give my users an SSH
>so I've to choose FTPS even it's not as secure as SFTP.
>
>So it dosn't just deal with anonymous connections.
>
>Kind regards,
>Sebastian

Now you've got me kind of curious about the unofficial ssh "hacks" you
mentioned. ;-)

It would be sweet if "we" could just simply set the users shell to
usr/bin/false to prevent ssh while still allowing scp/sftp. I've got a
hunch doing this involves non-trival code changes.

JCR