On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 09:47 -0400, Will H. Backman wrote:
> Many of these devices provide the "what if I get hit by a bus"
> protection of a simple, single purpose system.  If you use something
> like OpenBSD, it can be viewed as a homegrown application that must be
> supported by the organization, and that depends on the individual who
> set it up.  You don't need to know how to use vi to modify the firewall
> settings on one of those dlink devices.

You don't need to use vi to modify OpenBSD config files either; there's
also mg. You can also scp to another box and edit them with whatever you
want there if you don't like either vi or mg.

I have a D-Link access point here, and the Web-based config was a bit
confusing in places. Not to mention, the Web-based config means it eats
an IP address, even though it's basically a bridge. I would much rather
have a serial port and shell prompt.

> I'm not saying that a dumb, web configurable device is better.  I've
> seen too many point and click firewalls that were setup incorrectly by
> someone who didn't know what they were doing.  Emacs and vi make sure a
> total idiot cannot change your firewall settings.

Agreed, it seems more and more that people think typing is an optional
part of computer literacy. Especially given the level of people that
abbreviate three-letter words in chat/IM...

--
Shawn K. Quinn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>