On Sat, 2005-08-06 at 03:00 +0100, poncenby wrote:
> Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 07:33 +0100, poncenby wrote:
> >
> >>May I suggest some tolerance(doesn't have to be sincere) for people
> >>who are simply either too busy or too lazy to read man pages in their
> >>entirety. or just simply ignore the email. surely certain people on
> >>this list (theo - that's you!) don't actually enjoy patronising their
> >>loyal userbase?
> >

> > You should be reading the man page first, then asking questions on list
> > (or elsewhere, e.g. IRC), not the other way around. And ignoring these
> > sorts of e-mails isn't an option, as people need to know the expected
> > protocol is to read the man page first.
> >
> > Start out with the goal of making an operating system possible to use
> > without reading documentation, and you wind up with something like
> > Microsoft Windows (however, even Microsoft must document a lot of
> > things, even if it is only available in electronic form). I'm sure
> > you've either already been down that road, or have no desire to go down
> > it.
> >
> > The people that WTFM intend for you to RTFM.
> >

> wow shawn, that's really clever. you have saved yourself thirty eight
> key depressions and managed to convey no sense of authority.

Wow ponceby, that's really clever. You have shown the world your ability
to half-ass-type and not express one Goddamn coherent thought.

In the time it took you to write this, you could have read a man page,
possibly two or three if you're a fast reader.

> if only i could be as l33t

If you want to be understood, type English. I have no idea what the hell
an el-thirty-three-tee is.

You're obviously not averse to reading (and, rather unfortunately,
replying to) messages on the list. Why, then, are you averse to reading
man pages? (Don't answer this publicly, but reflect on the answer to
yourself.)

--
Shawn K. Quinn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>