On Thursday 11 August 2005 15:42, Joseph C. Bender wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Dave Feustel wrote:
>
> > Keep in mind that xdm does not at all do what I thought it did.
> > If using xdm does not permit simultaeneous multiple instances of KDE
> > on my computer, then I see no advantage to using xdm.

I now think that there is a security advantage to using xdm to bring up
KDE - namely, that there is no unprotected console session which can be
hijacked by someone sitting down at the computer, finding the session
from which KDE was started, and putting startkde in the background.

>       How about having the graphics system up when the machine boots?
> There's lots of reasons to use the software.
>
> I'm still not understanding why you want to have multiple users logged in
> at the same time on one machine via multiple consoles.  Given one keyboard
> and mouse, one would think that only one user would be using the machine
> at one time.

But one user (at least me) would like to be able to be logged in as two
different
users at the same time. Each login with its own instance of KDE. I would switch
between the 2 (or more) versions of KDE, each displaying full screen
(but not both at the same time) using some key-combo like alt-shift-f1.