On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:20:33 +0100, Simon Farnsworth
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Tuesday 16 August 2005 06:34, J.C. Roberts wrote:
>> You seem to be confused on your terms. The term "PPPoA" means
>> Point-to-Point Protocol over ATM (Asyncronous Transfer Mode). I
>> seriously doubt you're running ADSL over ATM. ;-)
>>
>Given that G.992 DSL protocols are all ATM physical layers, it's quite likely
>that he's running PPPoA. The (slight) advantage of PPPoA over PPPoE for ADSL
>is twofold: firstly, the MTU is slightly larger. Secondly, there's one less
>encapsulation layer involved; PPPoE on ADSL is in fact PPP over Ethernet over
>ATM.
>
>If you don't believe that ADSL is an ATM physical layer, go read G.992.1 (the
>international ADSL standard), or a manufacturer's spec sheet (like
>http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600plus.html), where it explicitly
>refers to "ATM Protocols".

Great info Simon, thank you. All the DSL modems I've seen here in the
USA are ethernet based on the user side and as misfortune would have
it, many providers *require* using their particular modem, so the user
side of it is all that matters. It's all been consumer grade kit, even
though a lot of it is in business use, none the less, I have not seen
a DSL modem with ATM on the user side (probably because it would be
pointless to make it that way).

Assuming you don't have a provider requirement of using their
specified DSL modem, it may be possible to use OpenBSD as a
*replacement* for the DSL modem itself. I know we've got some degree
of ATM support but I don't know how well (or if) all the other needed
stuff works.

Kind Regards,
JCR