On 8/18/05, Stuart Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip]
> > 2. Alot of you seem to use sudo instead of su - when you want to do
> > something that requires privileges. Why is this? What settings are
> > you using for sudo?
>
> Various reasons .. if you use sudo on each command you want to execute
> as root, you get a useful audit trail in the system log (or by mail, if
> wanted). (if you sudo -s, or use sudo to run a shell, this bypasses
> it). Also you can control which commands can be run by which users. You
> can have it ask for the (user's) password every time, or you can have
> it ask no more than every XX minutes. See sudoers(5) for more options.

Using sudo is a good habit to get into, because when/if you admin
multi-user systems, it allows you to grant fine-grained privileges to
users without having to give anyone root's password. Even on
single-user systems, it allows you to perform certain (very specific)
actions as root (e.g. mount/umount on removeable storage from gkrellm)
without being prompted for a password. As Stuart noted, you also get
an audit trail, and if you're using sudosh (which, last I checked,
runs on most modern UNIX-like systems except BSD - doh), you get
complete record/playback functionality, with timing, for everything
typed during a session. See http://sf.net/projects/sudosh/ for more. I
have heard rumors that work is underway to merge sudosh functionality
into sudo, but Todd Miller (or the sudo mailing list) would be the one
to ask about that.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED],darkuncle.net} || 0x5537F527
    encrypted email to the latter address please