Tom Cosgrove wrote:
"Gary Clemans-Gibbon" 20-Aug-05 20:05 >>>

Hi,

I have an i386 3.7 release generic box running as a file server in my
home with three hdds, one for os, two for data. We just had a power
surge/outage that lasted a split second but now the box hangs on boot
with the following..

Can't open /dev/rwd1a: Device not configured

"Device not configured" usually means that the operating system was not
able to find the device.  If this is the case, it would indicate a
hardware problem.  If you post your dmesg to the list it might give
some other indication.

If dmesg does not show wd1, then it may have been damaged by a power
surge.  You could try putting the disk into another box to see if it
is wd1 or the controller.

CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
/dev/rwd1a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY.

The boot stops at that point. /dev/rwd1a is one of the data disks. The
other checks fine. Please can someone tell me how to get the box to
boot and how to fix this please.

Thanks in advance
Gary

But please post your dmesg to the list.

Thanks

Tom

.

Thanks mfor the reply Tom, I'm almost pulling my hair out here. I can't post dmesg because it is hanging on bootup.

Now if I disconnect both data hdds then it will boot but not properly ie it asks for shell/terminal etc.

With either data disk connected it just hangs.

Is there a boot command I can give so that I can boot it with the data drives connected but tell it to skip the auto filechecks?

I think we had a power spike as only three or four out of a total of eleven computers rebooted, the rest are fine.

If these two (200g) hdds are toasted then I'm having a worse day than I thought.

OK (since I started typing this reply) I booted with the drives disconnected, I did mount -a and commented out the two data drives in fstab.

Now I am re-booted with the drives connected and I have a normal login prompt.

Please, what can I do next? How should I manually check the drives?

many, many thanks
Gary