--On 23 August 2005 20:15 +1000, Steve Murdoch wrote:

without any joy. the winxp in my test case is behind a nat router
will this cause me grief ?

If the router has "nat helpers" for ipsec (e.g. speedtouch), try disabling them in case they interfere. Otherwise, you'll need to give some more information - isakmpd debug output, tcpdump traces, errors logged on Windows side, attempted config, router type, etc.

I guess thirdly, is poptop under openbsd recommended ?

If you're looking for an easier-to-configure alternative to ipsec, try OpenVPN instead - all you need is a single UDP port or, if really pushed, TCP, and it's a lot saner than PPTP.