On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 05:10:08PM +0200, Dimitri Georganas wrote:
> Did you put this atheros card in one week ago? :)
>
> >ath0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0 "Atheros AR5212" rev 0x01: irq 11
> >ath0: mac 80.9 phy 4.3 radio 3.6, 802.11a/b/g, FCC1A, address

btw.: could you also give us the exact product name (on the minipci card)?

> 3.7 would crash on ath0 with AR5212 in hostap mode every six hours or so.
> Your watchdog does an excellent job, otherwise your board would just freeze.
>
> Not sure if this is an ath problem or a card-specific problem, but later
> snapshots (june) made it worse: the system would freeze when you'd do
> ifconfig up - probably due to the gpio support that, as you can see, isn't
> here yet in this dmesg.

there were two fixes for hostap mode and it works for me without
problems in the driver.

one issue got fixed on 2005/05/28 (ath.c 1.29). the problem was a
hardware counter overflow after some traffic and an uncatched
interrupt which indicated the overflow and required to clear the
counter registers. the second problem was related to receive overruns
in the rx descriptor chain, which had been fixed as well (ath.c 1.31
2005/07/19).

> >And, as it may help too, my watchdog script:
> >
> >#!/bin/sh
> >echo "starting watchdog..."
> >
> >sysctl kern.watchdog.auto=0 > /dev/null
> >
> >while : ; do
> >       sysctl kern.watchdog.period=10 > /dev/null
> >       sleep 8
> >done

also have a look at mbalmer@'s watchdogd(8) which had been imported
some weeks ago. this has some timing advantages over traditional
watchdog scripts.

reyk