On Thursday 25 August 2005 17:36, Anwar Puthu wrote:

> When I tried configuring wi0 in hostap mode with WEP, it used to fail
> consistently with the message wi0: init failed.

I suspect that's because you are using wicontrol after ifconfig.

> I then tried setting up the card in ibss-master mode.  This at least
> initialises the card.

But then it can't function as a bridge, only hostap mode can do that. I
suspect hostap mode failed was because you used 'wicontrol -e1' after you had
already enabled WEP with 'ifconfig nwkey <key>'. Don't do that.

[snip]

>------------------- hostname.wi0
>
> ! ifconfig \$if up media autoselect mediaopt ibss-master nwid "test2" nwkey
> "0x..." ! wicontrol \$if -f 3 -e 1 -A 2
> ! echo started wi0

Always do any wicontrol stuff first, then ifconfig. Don't fiddle with any
settings you don't need to. Don't force encryption on with wicontrol after
you have already enabled it with ifconfig nwkey <key>.

Why are you using !ifconfig [...] in your hostname.if(5) file? It's not needed
(unless you are not using the default system scripts in /etc, in which case
you should have said so).

Try:

!wicontrol \$if -f3
mediaopt hostap nwid test2 nwkey 0x<key> up

>------------------- hostname.sis2
>
> up
> !echo started sis2

Fine.

>------------------- bridgename.bridge1
>
> # External i/f
> add wi0
>
> # Internal i/f
> add sis2

Add 'up' and remove everything else (at least, until the bridge is working).
Power cycle the system and report back.