It turns out that I did some copy&paste action when I was creating the
[peer-ID] section. And even if there were no extra blank characters anywhere
(I was careful to check that multiple times), somehow something was still
messing with the parser. Brackets or =, something must have looked fine on
screen yet the character code or something was wrong. I didn't follow
through on that.

The solution? Delete the whole section and retype it again exactly the way
it was - by hand. Grrr, wasted 5 hours on this.

Thanks for all suggestions off-list.

Regards, Mitja