On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Gustavo Rios wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> sorry for being off-topic, i am able to rent a pair of twist line (a
> circuit) between my home and and friends one. I wonder if there exist
> and ethernet extender device that could connect an ethernet cable to a
> phone line. It would do no special work, just a raw connection between
> 2 types of layer, i.e, take "bits" from one end and put it into the
> another and vice-versa.

If you truly can get such a service (most RBOCs stopped selling 'dry pair'
or 'alarm circuits' in the 80s), get TWO pair. There are a number of
companies selling 'Ethernet over Twisted Pair' converters.

One problem, however, is that the 100M distance limitation could make such
a connectio pretty impractical, even IF the line conditioning permitted
the connection.

> Does that exists ?

If you're fairly close, however, WiFi with high gain antennas might be a
much better solution.

        Lee

  Leland V. Lammert            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Chief Scientist     Omnitec Corporation
 Network/Internet Consultants   www.omnitec.net