> --On 04 September 2005 13:57 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> A Netgear FS108 is doing it's job very well and also the support of
>> Netgear convinced me. As I bought the Switch it had a 5 year warenty
>> and a 3year warenty for the power suply.
>
> The metal-cased Netgear FS105 and FS108 have been working reliably for
> me. I also have a GS105 which I'm fairly happy with (apart from not
> supporting jumbo frames, but that's my problem as I didn't think of
> looking into jumbo support before I bought it). These are
> small-business orientated, they also have some consumer-orientated
> FS60x and GS60x which I haven't tried but on the website they look a
> bit plasticky.
>
>> Forget about D-Link! I recomment to stay far far away of these crap.
>
> I haven't experienced their switches, but if they're anything like as
> bad as I've found their ADSL routers, that's sound advice...

Their Routers crash, their Firmware is insecure (Firmwareupdate ->
Admin-PW == empty but configuration still works), their Switches are
fucked up and even their simple PCI-WLan-Cards have totaly fucked up
Revisions or just no "country-code" (like my card). I never had any
positiv experience with D-Link, realy never. No matter if it deals with
manages/unmanages switches, Routers, PCI-Cards.

If you buy cheaply then you'll buy twice...
And if it deals with Netgear: Use the metal-cased Switches.
At home I#ve no 3Com-Switches but e.g. I've also bad experience with
level1-Switches. They've 3 years warenty and the power suplies explode
(yes..) 2 weeks after the warenty was over. The support refuses any help
just because these 2 fucking weeks.

And so I got 2 broken Level1-Switches (unmanaged, 32Ports) from a company
I know. One had an exploded Power-Suply and the other a fucked up Fan.
Both happened ~2 Weeks after the warenty was over so the Admin of the
company decided to buy new Hardware (not from level1) and I was able to
repair the Switch with the fucked up Fan and got it for (for the case my
Netgear-Switch will break one day). ;)

Maybe the OpenBSD-Developers could create a Website with good hardware
because I think they've so much hardware that they know what's crap and
what isn't. At least I would like such a recommendation-Website.

To find good hardware is realy a pain today because of all this fucked up
cheap crap...

Kind regards,
Sebastian
--
Don't buy anything from YeongYang.
Their Computercases are expensiv, they WTX-powersuplies start burning and