On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 11:09:41PM +0100, the unit calling itself Simon Morgan
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in building a machine for use as an OpenBSD workstation and
> would appreciate any recommendations on AMD64 motherboards that are well
> supported. I assume there are people on this list using OpenBSD as their
> primary OS and would be interested to hear what you're using.

I've had good luck with Tyan.

> This would be a damned sight easier if manufacturers didn't insist on
> including everything but the kitchen sink on-board and failing to document
> which chipsets they're using. Can you even buy desktop motherboards that
> don't come with on-board sound and network these days?
>
> Any advice is appreciated.

Certainly without sound, and I'm sure there are a few w/o networking...
but they tend to be the low-end products that don't offer good value. I
think the reason for higher integration is that it makes the board more
versatile (I may want to put this in a 1U enclosure & don't want to or
can't add PCI cards, risers, etc). All of these peripheral features can
be disabled via jumpers if you prefer to use your own brand via PCI
card.

Jay