J Moore wrote:

>> Anyway...you HAVE to spend time getting to know whatever RAID solution
>> you are using.  Practice, practice, practice!!!  Try swapping drives --
>> what happens if you swap a drive with a larger drive?  smaller drive?
>> how does it indicate errors?  etc...  In short: never trust anyone else
>> to haul your butt out of the fire.
>
> Not quite sure what point you're trying to make here... are you
> advocating that one develop expertise in all areas to become totally
> self-sufficient? If so, I suppose you are all at once: thoracic surgeon,
> firefighter, psychiatrist, tax lawyer, microbiologist, etc, etc, etc.

No, I'm advocating that if you pick of a scalpel, that you understand
how to perform surgery on the species you are going to be cutting on.
If you pick up a fire hose, you understand what happens when the water
hits full pressure.  Etc.  Taxes?  ok, got me there, no one understands
tax law.

If you don't wish to spend time to learn the RAID tool of your choice,
do everyone a favor: skip the RAID.  Really.  It will *cause* more
downtime than it will ever save you.  Some solutions are pretty easy
(the Accusys is up there as one of the easiest, certainly the easiest I
have seen and used), but there are still things you should get to know
BEFORE an event, not after...

RAID systems in the hands of people who assume "magic will happen" cause
massive down-time problems.  In the hands of people who know how to do
it, yes, good things really can happen.  But I doubt there are any truly
mindless RAID options available.

Nick.