On 2005/10/14 16:41:22, Graham Toal wrote:
> >  - Using the 3.7 ports tree on 3.6 is not recommended.
>
> The only install disk I have is 3.6.

Any reason not to use cd37.iso?

> I'd rather forget about packages and use ports for everything

(Speaking as someone compiling ports for -current on another
tty on the zaurus I'm typing on...) If packages are available,
compiling standard software yourself from ports is a waste of
time and electricity. Given that many useful configure options
are available from packages with flavors, there aren't too
may times it's needed.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq8.html#PortsvsPkgs

Incidentally, window(1) (in base) does some of the things you
might want screen for.

You can fetch the ports tree in a gzipped tar, which saves a lot
of time fetching by cvs. Using softdep helps too...

Coming from Linux, you may find quite a different mindset here,
the emphasis is more on learning for yourself than finding someone
who already knows how to do what you want, as often seems to be
the case there. You get pointers but you have to work a bit harder,
in exchange you get to know more about how things work.

That said, you might want to investigate "no rdr" to help with
your temp hack.