On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 9:14 PM, Kenneth R Westerback
<kwesterb...@rogers.com> wrote:
> 1) Don't cross post.
>
> 2) Install something more recent that 4.6 (e.g. 4.9) and you will
> find that partitions and filesystems will be aligned on 4K boundaries.
>
> 3) If you can, without trying hard, end up with misaligned partitions
> on a fresh 4.9 install then please detail the steps you followed and
> I for one would be very interested.

Perhaps not top-posting, and trimming excessive quoted material which
is not actually relevant to the content you're adding, would help as
well?

That said 4096 byte block alignment is an ongoing issue in
virtualization. If your storage on your virtualization server is 4096
byte block aligned, such as NetApp fibre channel or NFS images for
high availability VMWare environments, Since the guests currently have
no way to be aware of the back-end storage, and won't until
virtualization technologies include options for 4096 byte block drive
emulation, it's a problem.  it's vital that the guest images have
their partitions aligned. It's particularly criticla to avoid the
63-block "DOS compatibility" before the first partition. I've
personally written and posted tools for that for Linux environments,
but haven't tried it for OpenBSD: I'd welcome guidelines for that.