On 3 May 2011 21:25, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:
> On 2011-05-03, annathemerm...@hush.com <annathemerm...@hush.com>
wrote:

>> So, I'm trying to create put my /tmp partition on my swap.
>>
>> So I have a line like this in my fstab:
>> swap /tmp mfs rw,nodev,nosuid,-s=2097152
>> I also tried changing swap to /dev/wd0b, and changing the n in -
s=n
>> to smaller numbers.
>
> [assuming this is still macppc]
>
> 2097152 x 512 (bytes per sector) = 1GB
>
> Up to OpenBSD 4.9, MAXDSIZ on macppc is 512MB so you will be
> limited to -s=1048576 or slightly below.
>
> In -current it has been bumped to 2GB so you'll be able to use
> more there.

A bit below, but now it works. I'm quite happy with stable. Unless
current fixes my X11 keyboard issues, I'd rather not deal with
current unless I have a second hard disk to play with. I suppose if
I ever temporarily need more space in /tmp I'll just have to set up
a softlink to /var/tmp or somewhere.

However, is there any way to get mfs to use swap first rather than
memory first? I'm just trying to make it take advantage of the swap
encryption (random keys unlike a single key I have to remember the
password for); I don't really need speed improvements and certain
excessively bloated applications like Firefox and Gimp, which I
might occasionally want to run, could really use the memory.

>> Also, is there any way to switch consoles? On i386 it was
>> Ctrl+Alt+F2, Ctrl+Alt+F3, and so on (in fact I think the Ctrl was
>> optional unless leaving X11), but it doesn't seem to work on
>> macppc, even with the Fn key held down too.
>
> No separate consoles, you will need to use tmux or similar
> (or X of course).

tmux works fine. Not as convenient as separate consoles, but it
does the job. And, with one tmux terminal displaying the output of
pdisk and another running disklabel, I was able to manually tell
disklabel where the Linux partitions were so OpenBSD and Linux
could share swap and ext2/3 home. For some reason, OpenBSD did not
seem able to find the Linux partitions automatically like it could
on x86, even when I tried re-installing OpenBSD after Debian.

Unfortunately, once I start X11, I don't know how to get out, short
of rebooting the computer. This is very inconvenient when X
crashes, or I can't click the exit button in fvwm because the
faulty keyboard driver things I'm holding down the arrow down key
even though I'm not. For the record, X seems to crash in
framebuffer mode, but not in ati/radeon accelerated mode. In
framebuffer  mode, even running some xterm program, like top, might
kill it, although it seems more likely to die on me if Firefox is
running. Changing the driver seemed to fix mouse issues. (Whatever
it had by default, sometimes I would lose control of the cursor and
it would go toward the bottom of the screen.) I haven't figured out
the right driver for the keyboard. If I tell xorg.conf to use kbd
or akbd, it doens't work at all, but if I tell it to use keyboard,
sometimes it randomly decides not to notice that I've pressed
certain keys, and is particularly reluctant to recognize the
backspace key. Sometimes, it becomes convinced I am holding a key
down even when I am not: this is particularly annoying when it
thinks I'm holding the down arrow key. None of these issues occur
when not running X.org. Running X -configure crashes the system,
and not even Ctrl+C or Ctrl+Z was able to uncrash it, so the
configuration had to be done manually.