On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 08:54:25PM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2011-05-27, Eduardo Meyer <dudu.me...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Not at present, OpenBGP only accepts as-plain for input, it always
> >> outputs as-dot.
>
> Re-reading this sentence I see it's badly written; I meant it as
> "the only place OpenBGP accepts as-plain is for input" but I'll
> rephrase to make it totally clear:
>
> Currently OpenBGP accepts either format for input, but it always
> outputs as-dot.
>
> >> I think we should probably change this, rfc5396 came out a couple
> >> of years ago and pretty much everyone is using as-plain now. (Even
> >> though 3.10 looks far nicer than 196618 ;)

I still prefer 3.10. At least it tells me quickly from which RIR the AS is
from. And it looks nicer.

> > Yeah, I agree, but the world seems to prefer plain 4byte (maybe they can
> > read).
>
> I think it's largely because a lot of people are using regular
> expressions over AS paths to set routing policy and the .'s are
> going to mess things up there.

Yes, network admins seem to be unable to write correct regular
expressions.
No T-Shirt from them. Or maybe we should make on: "move out of the way, I
don't know regular expressions"

> > BTW I have read in many Cisco[1] documents that asdot is made up of
> > [1]http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6554/ps6599/white_paper_c11_516829.html
> >
> > (PART1 * 65535) + PART2
>
> ["1" * 65535] + "10" = 65546
>
> err...wow.
>
> > However OpenBGP does the math as ((PART1 * 65535) + PART2)  + PART1.
>
> Or, put another way, part1*65536 + part2 (though it's actually written
> as the more efficient `$$ = uval | (uvalh << 16)' in the parser).

Yep. All the multiplication is way to complex.

--
:wq Claudio