On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Theo de Raadt <dera...@cvs.openbsd.org>
wrote:
>> > 100% right.  The load average calculation has not changed in 25 years.
>> > Anyone who says otherwise hasn't got a single fact on their side.
>> >
>> > What has changed, however, is that the kernel has more kernel threads
>> > running (for instance, ps aguxk, and look at the first few which have
>> > the 'K' flag set in the 'STAT' field.
>> >
>> > Some kernels have decided to not count those threads, others do count
>> > them.  Since these kernel threads make various decisions for when to
>> > do their next tasks and how to context switch, the statistical
>> > monitoring of the system which ends up creating load values can get
>> > perturbed.
>> >
>> > That's what this comes down to.
>>
>> Which...... sounds exactly like a change in the load average
>> calculation, due to kernel changes, that has occurred in the last 25
>> years.
>
> You clearly cannot read.
>
> The calculation has NOT CHANGED.  The way that work is done in the
> kernel has changed.
>
> You better get back to class; your potty break is over.

Then perhaps lean to write. If you're measuring a different
phenomenon, one that has different units, then it's a distinctly
different *calculation* becuase you're measuring a distinct collection
of objects. One may as well add up a restaurant bill, leave out the
tax and tip, and say "it's unchanged because I used the same plus
signs".

It's particularly confusing, as the original poster was confused, when
trying to comparae "prices", in this case system loads.