>From Linux man page for ls

NAME
       ls - list directory contents

SYNOPSIS
       ls [OPTION]... [FILE]...

pay special attention to synopsis section. I can't see here that your
format of scripts is allowed.

so use what's standard and expected behaviour. It doesn't mean that if
some system is not able to have it's resources in order and allows its
bugs to be a feature for users that every other system on the planet
must follow that idiotic behaviour as well ;-)