tl;dr: In my opinion, these anti Linux rants do harm to OpenBSD by
condemning everything Linux does instead of allowing us to pick out just
the good parts.

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:22:02AM +0200, Benny Lofgren wrote:
> On 2011-06-22 09.24, Tobias Ulmer wrote:

> >> What you should do is relearn the proper way. :-)
> >>

> [the rest of my rant deleted]
>
> > Oh please, Linus wrote the kernel, not Ubuntu. If you hate coreutils or
> > getopt, blame the respective groups that developed them and not someone
> > writing a kernel, a long time ago.
>
> No, I don't hate coreutils or getopt, getopt is good shit. What I hate
> is the inconsistensies, the fact that Linux isn't a homogenous piece of
> work but so obviously a product of a thousand chefs, few with similar
> taste.
>
> And my criticism extends to the kernel too, or rather begins with it, so
> it definitley applies to Linus himself and the kernel guys.
>
> > This rose tinted "OpenBSD is the greatest" shit really gets on my
> > nerves. It's all fun to bash others, but from time to time you have to
> > look at their stuff and figure out which parts they did right and you
> > could improve.
>
> Granted, my rant was, on purpose, negatively Linux-biased, but not in
> one single place - also on purpose - would you have found the word
> OpenBSD or any slant towards it, which makes me suspect you couldn't
> stand what I wrote long enough to actually read all of it. :-)

Right. And I felt in the mood to take the opposite position for the fun
of it.

> So I think you might have missed my point. There is a "true unix"
> heritage that needs to be cared for, THAT MAKES LIFE SIMPLER if you
> understand and take advantage of it.

OpenBSD specifically and old BSD in general is not true to Unix. From
ksh to billions of options to find and other tools to the entire
networking framework (bolted on with additional syscalls, pseudo devices
etc), nothing of that is Unix (or even -like).

Here is something to read: http://harmful.cat-v.org/cat-v/

BSD went through a similar phase as GNU: adding every feature known to
man to the original Unix commands. Have a look at lpr(1) for GNUism in
action. After some time we got a little wiser and stopped adding flags
for everything that was convenient.

Linux, especially with the constant influx of new developers and
commercial interests, hasn't yet cooled down enough to stop messing
around with their "base" system.

However if I got my history right, the improvements of BSD are why people
bought a Unix license and then installed BSD. It was better, it had more
features, networking, usable error messages, better language support
etc. etc.

> Linus missed or chose to ignore that part entirely. That's fine, as
> Linux is not said to be a unix operating system, but a "unix like" one.
>
> The problem is, this "likeness" is not "like enough", so it really
> doesn't help the community overall but rather hinders it. This is
> something the Linux and GNU folks could have addressed in the early
> days but either chose to ignore or were ignorant about. For that
> they absolutely deserve some blame.

Are you ready to test my patch where I'm going to remove -exec from
find(1) so you can have your real Unix back? And -r from grep? And...

Bullshit, you use BSD because just like Linux, it added lots of handy
features while keeping it simple. Linux may overdo it from your and my
point of view, but so does OpenBSD from the POV of some old unix guys.

> Now, the OP:s questions are certainly addressable by choosing a shell
> he is used to, and perhaps by a set of aliases and/or scripts to tune
> the "user experience" into something familiar for him.

The getopt(3) function is inconsistent amongst operating systems and
could use some polish in my opinion. Maybe there are technical reasons
why this feature can't be implemented, but this discussion has certainly
extinguished my curiosity about it.

Backwards threads like this one prevent people from trying to improve
things, which is the real damage done.

Once they get "discussed" in this manner on misc@, it's  difficult to
get even very sensible patches committed. Some developers may have
formed a strong "anti" stance and it takes years to convince them.

> My problem with that, and the reason for the recommendation I made
> before digressing into rant mode, is that that practice will get him
> into trouble in the long run, as he encounters other flavors of unix,
> linux, Solaris, *BSD and whatever else might lie in his path in the
> future. So my suggestion, while tongue in cheek, was made in all
> seriousness and is in my opinion still a very valid one.

I'm not specifically interested in the thread starters problem, it's
reasonable to suggest more portable approaches. What got me was the
(imo) baseless anti Linux (and Linus) sentiment.

I love good rants, but every now and then... Anyway, here's my novel,
now I have work to do.