The common issue is with the lm device hanging during boot with OpenBSD current.

Regards

Nigel Taylor

On 07/06/11 16:23, Francois Pussault wrote:
Hi all,

Medion computers, supermicro (many cheap models) motherboards are known as
'not free *unix* compatible'.
Therefore most of supermicro other motherboards just seem to work well with
*linux&  *BSD.
Madion are hardware "coded" to be able only to boot a real windows OS, (even
reactOS often fail to boot correctly), Then you need to boot other OS to have
windows installed in first partition(s)&  to use a multiboot, but even that
can fail....

From: Jeff Ross<jr...@openvistas.net>
Sent: Wed Jul 06 17:07:40 CEST 2011
To: Nigel Taylor<njtay...@asterisk.demon.co.uk>, OpenBSD
<misc@openbsd.org>
Subject: Re: OpenBSD current i386  hangs on boot in lm0.

On 07/06/11 07:47, Nigel Taylor wrote:
Hi,

I updated from OpenBSD current i386, built from CVS 24th March 2011, to
one built from CVS on 2nd July 2011. The bsd.rd booted, and was used to
upgrade, on reboot this hung. I noted lm0 was the last line, rebooting
with the older kernel version the next dmesg line was lm1 detached, and
the boot completed.

The line in the /var/log/messages for old kernel are:-
/bsd: lm1 at iic0 addr 0x2d: W83781D
/bsd: lm0 at isa0 port 0x290/8: W83781D
/bsd: lm1 detached

Using boot -c with latest bsd, I disabled lm, this booted as normal with
lm disabled. dmesg is below.

I downloaded the latest snapshot bsd 29th June 2011, booted from this an
hit the same problem at lm0.

I booted from the bsd built from cvs, using boot -c and disabled just
lm0, this booted as normal.

Updated from CVS today, and rebuilt the kernel, booted from the new bsd,
this hung at the same point lm0.

Two other i386 systems are fine, but these don't have the lm device.

Please contact me if anymore information is required, or anything you
would me to try out.

I reported the same thing in these two messages:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=130755536116000&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=130764492616339&w=2

This hang happens with the 4 different SuperMicro based motherboards I
have that have the lm chipset.

In the second message referenced above I noted that a snapshot dated May
25 booted normally and I first ran into the problem on June 6 so the
window is fairly small.

However, when I tried building kernels for that range of days I ran into
other problems and haven't been able to get back to it since.

Jeff

Cordialement
Francois Pussault
3701 - 8 rue Marcel Pagnol