On 07/07/11 15:59, R0me0 *** wrote:
[...snip a whole lot of incomplete, fragmentary and wrong stuff...]

here's the scoop.

Realtek cards work.  re(4) driver works.  Got at least a couple, it's
not something I usually brag about, but here's one from 4.9:

re0 at pci3 dev 0 function 0 "Realtek 8169" rev 0x10: RTL8110S (0x0400),
irq 10, address 00:01:08:00:81:7c
rgephy0 at re0 phy 7: RTL8169S/8110S PHY, rev. 0

Your problem has nothing to do with all the red herrings you have been
throwing out, such as an unrelated NIC or your IDE interface, etc.

More to the point:
If you plug a properly functioning PCI card into a properly functioning
PCI machine, it WILL show up in the dmesg.  You may have been indicating
that you plugged a card in and it didn't show up.  IF that's the case,
either the card isn't seated properly or isn't functioning (or a damaged
socket, I've seen that), or you have a problem with an unsupported
bridge (unlikely), and no card plugged into such a slot will be
recognized. If everything is working properly mechanically and
electrically, you WILL see a PCI card in a slot, even if it says
something about an "unknown product" or "not configured".  SOMETHING
will be there, as in:
  http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq12.html#GenNotConf
(and IF you had an unsupported bridge chip, that would also show up in
the dmesg, also "unknown" and "not configured").

In short, the premise of your subject line is wrong.  It works.  On 4.9.
 You have something else much more basic wrong, and not related to OpenBSD.

Nick.