> I was just doing pkg_add -ui.  Individual packages might be attempting to
upgrade to a specific version though, eh?  I was looking for Python 2.7, but I
don't see it anywhere.  I had previously symlinked /usr/local/bin/python to
the 2.6 version.  Is Python in base now?

Python is not in base, but python2.6 is gone.
http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20110614062504

> I was told off-list that the powerpc packages simply aren't up to date with
-current, which seems like a plausible explanation.  I'm doing a cvs up to see
if it's possible to build the packages by hand as ports.

great! check out dpb (man dpb) then.