Folks,

I would add that sysjail (not the FreeBSD implementation but the
implementation <http://sysjail.bsd.lv/> based on systrace(4)) has known holes
that make it unsuitable as a security tool; please don't use it. I had the
privilege of speaking with Robert Watson directly at a conference a few years
ago, and he explained to me exactly how systrace is vulnerable to practical
attacks based on race conditions. His paper on this is at:

<http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2007/08/06/usenix-woot07-exploiting-concu
rrency-vulnerabilities-in-system-call-wrappers-and-the-evil-genius/>

--Paul

On Jul 21, 2011, at 9:05 AM, Kristaps Dzonsons wrote:

>> I think the question is not new but I only found an old talk for version
>> 3.x, so I want to ask again:
>>
>> Is there anything comparable to FreeBSD jails (now)?
>>
>> I found sysjail but I am not sure, if it is working under 4.9 (maybe I
>> will try it in the next few days):
>> http://richizo.wordpress.com/2008/12/31/jailing-openbsd-in-5-steps/
>
> I haven't touched sysjail since 4.3 and nobody's sent patches to update it
since then (though some hot air's been blown around).  The linked tutorial is
also wrong: it just copies around some ifdefs instead of actually making sure
nothing's changed between versions.  Bad.  Please contact me off-list if
you're SERIOUS about maintaining sysjail between versions (no patches = don't
bother).  Of course, this won't change that sysjail is breakable (and, note
significantly, NOT part of OpenBSD proper).

> Kristaps.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which
had a name of smime.p7s]