I'm assuming your USB drive has an external power supply, right?

In the past, I had installed OpenBSD (I think it was 4.7, either i386 or amd64) to an external usb drive, powered from the usb port. It would appear to install ok, start the boot process, then about halfway through would appear to "power cycle" or something for a split second, causing the boot to fail. Same thing would happen with FreeBSD and Slackware, though Ubuntu and Fedora could successfully boot from that drive.

Now that this topic has come up on the lists, I am just wondering are there some non-externally powered usb drives that OpenBSD can boot from? Would be helpful to run and test -current on external drive, and have the release version on internal drive.

Cheers,
Brett.