>> Now that this topic has come up on the lists, I am just wondering are there
>> some non-externally powered usb drives that OpenBSD can boot from? Would be
>> helpful to run and test -current on external drive, and have the release
>> version on internal drive.

Just to be clear, I for one didn't previously say that *all* USB
drives with external power supplies had settling in problems. I don't
think that is the case. I'm pretty confident there are
externally-powered usb drives out there that will work without
"settling in" -- though I have to admit I just don't know how
prevalent the issue real is. I only know that *some* drives and
adapters have these problems. I own a USB-to-SATA/IDE adapter that
does and that needs settling in, but that's the extent of my
first-hand knowledge.

I also don't know whether OS support still plays a role in this. I
could imagine that *maybe* the USB stack of some OSes might be able to
recognize that a drive hasn't "settled in" properly and might then be
able to reset the drive or part of its USB stack to get things to work
without the user taking special settling-in precautions. But I just
don't know. The only thing that can really reveal the truth is
testing.

I would recommend bringing a laptop into the shop and trying before
you buy an external USB drive/adapter. Or make sure there's a
no-question-asked money back guarantee if you mail-order.