James Colannino wrote:

> On 08/17/11 06:23, Alexandre Ratchov wrote:
>
>> could you provide a dmesg and the list of commands that you run and
>> that didn't work?
>
> Sorry it took me so long to get back to everyone.  I've been having all
> sorts of other issues at work that have prevented me from responding
> sooner.  Here's the output of dmesg, audioctl and mixerctl:
>
> James

First of all, I think you forgot to tell which command/application you're
using and what kind of audio you're trying to play (WAV, MP3, AU, AIFF,
Ogg/Vorbis, FLAC, ...).
Is there any output on your screen or in /var/log/* showing anything
problematic while playing sounds ?

One way for me to get a lot of noise is accidentilly playing a file with an
unexpected format, like this: aucat -i somefile.au

About your audioctl:
> name=SB Live!
..
> play.error=1
..
> play.errors=2961
Some errors though I don't expect this to necessarily be the problem.

About your mixerctl:
> outputs.master=255,255
> outputs.master.mute=off
Your output levels are maxed out, I'd start off from e.g.
outputs.master=100,100, going up if necessary.

> inputs.spkr=255
> inputs.spkr.mute=off
I'd mute this, I think it might pick up noise.

> record.source=mic
> record.volume=255,255
> record.volume.mute=off
You may not need this, so trying to mute it to see if it makes a difference
probably doesn't hurt.

About your dmseg:
> OpenBSD 4.9 (GENERIC.MP) #819: Wed Mar  2 06:57:49 MST 2011
>     dera...@amd64.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
> real mem = 3128442880 (2983MB)
> avail mem = 3031142400 (2890MB)
..
> acpiec0 at acpi0acpiec _REG failed, broken BIOS

..
> cpu0: unknown i686 model 0x2a, can't get bus clock
..
> ... unknown product 0x0100 ...
..
> ... not configured
..
> "Realtek 8168" rev 0x06: unknown ASIC (0x2c80), apic 0 int 18 (irq 11),
> address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff rgephy0 at re0 phy 7: RTL8169S/8110S PHY, rev. 5
..
> io address conflict 0x2000d000/0x100
It seems you've got pretty new hardware, not fully supported by your 4.9
installation. I recommend using a snapshot to get an OS which is likely a
better match to you hardware.

I hope any of this helps.

regards,
Remco