Read through the changes you made, see if anything looks a likely cause,
revert it, rebuild, repeat as necessary.

Start with any changes you've made yourself rather than changes
dmassage has made (I'm pretty certain it would not have removed the
npx device you had problems with in your first email).

Shoe-horning the OS into a system so small that you need to make
these changes is possible, but you really need to understand what
you're doing in order to track down the problems you might encounter.
For a one-off most people would be advised to find more suitable
hardware (e.g. alix is really cheap and has a very usable amount of
ram).

Some people want to do this sort of thing for fun and they should
understand that they are going to have to do some extra work
themselves.

If it's for a commercial product, well, for your customers'
sake, you ought to have somebody available who can understand this
stuff without asking a mailing list...how are you going to diagnose
weird faults when you run out of kernel memory? If you report a
bug when you're running a custom kernel, you know what the first
question will be. "Can you repeat it on GENERIC?"