On 11/29/11 04:04, T. Valent wrote:
> This is what I do:
> edit /usr/src/sys/conf/GENERIC
> edit /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf/GENERIC

welcome to the "ignore" list of many developers.  You aren't even
following directions on how to hurt yourself properly without wasting
people's time.
> I know I am recommended to use the generic kernel.

"But I like pain"
well, your purpose in life mat be to become an example.

> I need the kernel for
> an embedded device where

This:
> the hardware is well known in detail, it is
> always the same, will not change and memory is very limited.

does not logically lead to this:
> So I need
> to get rid of the unnecessary stuff in the kernel.

Put bluntly: I don't believe you.  Hopefully, not that you are lying to
us, but rather that you are deluding yourself.  What possible production
hardware can't run the GENERIC kernel, or would get a non-trivial amount
of memory returned to it?  I probably have a lesser machine in production.

You are already inflicting pain upon yourself, AND crying for help after
doing so.  Your process is broke, using a tool you do not understand.

I've watched people go through this kind of stuff...with "hardware that
won't change" and watched it change or have to be tested in an
alternative environment, and watched it take much longer than any hoped
performance benefit was ever going to return.  This also creates
long-term maintenance nightmares.

IF your hardware is so anemic that it can't run GENERIC, I think you
will do much better getting more realistic hardware than by mangling the
OS.  On the other hand...  I do have a lot of 4M RAM chips and 486
processors maybe I can sell you...

Nick.