On Tue, 29 Nov 2011, Torsten Valentin wrote:

So why don't you show us the dmesg
of the most recent kernel that worked for you?

Because I don't see what that has to do with the issue. I'm not looking
for that one line that's missing in my current config files. I'm not
hoping for someone to tell me that I should include line #5 and then it
will work.

Instead I was hoping to learn a way how to find out myself which lines
must be included (and which in my case don't need to). Quite what Andres
Perera explained in his first reply. Just that Adres' explanation
obviously cannot be the complete answer or at least I didn't fully
understand it.

Because the dmesg from the last working kernel will tell you what drivers need to be installed to run.

I could go on, but others here have expressed my thoughts in detail.

diana

Past hissy-fits are not a predictor of future hissy-fits.
Nick Holland(06 Dec 2005)