On 12/22/2011 09:07 PM, Paul B. Henson wrote:
On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 08:08:08PM -0800, Josh Grosse wrote:

Woops.  I misread your post.  The commits were September 19, which is
-current, beyond 5.0-release.

You must either migrate to -current, or await 5.1-release.

Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification. The installboot piece that lets
you install bootblocks on softraid is in 5.0, so when that part worked I
assumed it all was. The dates (commits in Sept, your post in Oct,
5.0 release in Nov) also led me to misbelieve it was in 5.0. But looking
at the changelogs I see the bits that store boot info in softraid
metadata and dynamically figure out the root happened after the 5.0
freeze.

Something to look forward to in 5.1 :). Thanks again...

Why wait?  I have two amd64 servers in production on -current
and all is humming along magnificently.  One is heavily loaded
by large image file manipulation over samba.  Of course that
has little to do with the boot block business.  Both servers
were booted more than a dozen times during provisioning so
I feel good that they will come up after an extended power
outage.

I did boot with sd0 removed to force a boot from sd1.  I
then took a third disk and rebuilt sd0 while the machine
was up and running.  All went well.

To me it was worth the trouble to pick a snapshot between
commit storms by the developers, just so I didn't have to
deal with the altroot thing any more.

I have been using OBSD for Internet facing infrastructure for
the last 10 years but always used RedHat/CentOS for internal
servers.  In Oct I installed the first of the two and don't
see going back.  I am so done with Linux servers.

OBSD is getting  close to the point where I can use it as
a workstation/desktop.  My biggest hindrance is no wine.

I guess I am going to be forced to make friends with some
VM system and cross mount the filesystems via samba.  I
assume smarter people than me have done that already.

I would take suggestions of a preferred VM off-list so as
not to hijack this tread.

Regards all