FWIW, on my system it seems to work (and yes, I should upgrade!)

$ uname -a
OpenBSD foo.bar 4.3 GENERIC.MP#587 i386

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 03:09:50PM -0600, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012, Philip Guenther wrote:
>
> > Lesson #1: examine the anomalous data for clues.
> >
> > So, you're saying that
> >     locate /usr | grep ^/usr | head

$ locate /usr | grep '^/usr' | head
/usr

> > returns nothing but
> >
> Yep! As does locate /usr
>
> >     locate /home | grep ^/home | head

$ locate /home | grep '^/home' | head
/home

> > returns something?  (/home being a stand-in for whatever your unsaid
> > "[user file] partition" is)
> >
> > Perhaps you should investigate how those two directories differ?
> >
> That was the original question - both are ffs, both are rw, the only
> difference between then that /home is nosuid, however that does not
> affect locate on 3.3, 4.9, or 5.0 (just tested).

$ mount
/dev/sd0a on / type ffs (local, with quotas)
/dev/sd1a on /home type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid, with quotas)
/dev/sd2a on /var type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid, with quotas)

--
        Martin Bock                                          :wq