well, I need to make question more certain.

we are using nagios for monitoring and it is running on separate server. we
do not want to monitor server from inside.
we want to run run something via ssh and see whether carp peer is dead or
not.

probably we do not want to determine that we are carp master, because we
will always connect to master via ssh.