well, it's usually not possible.
we use OpenBSD, because it supports "carpdev" option (FreeBSD does not
support it)

most of our carp clusters run on single address. no spare IP space.

we could do ssh and ping carp peer (some trouble with preemption), but we
do not want to stick with certain IP addresses. we would like to monitor
"in general"

1) define new carp cluster for monitoring
2) ssh to it and monitorcarp peer in general without specifying it's address