On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Steffen Daode Nurpmeso
<sdao...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Dave Anderson wrote [2012-01-28 15:13+0100]:
> [.]
>> I haven't yet had a chance to look into how cvs works beyond
>> reading the man page, faq, etc.
>
> Also true for me.

> [.]
>
> I've noted a lot of upload network traffic when doing 'cvs up'
> on OpenBSD repos; i.e., before anything else happened about
> ~70 MB (www) and ~150 MB (src) *upstream* traffic were produced,
> and it took more than an hour before the download of data began
> (src).  I never had similar problems with anoncvs.mindrot.org, nor
> cvs.savannah.gnu.org and *.cvs.sourceforge.net etc.
>
> If you're doing your updates in such a regular manner, i think
> your best bet is cvsync(1), even if that means additional local
> storage - but it is *far* more efficient in both, time and
> traffic.  (Not to talk about the possibility to do 'cvs log' and
> the like locally, without internet connection; if that's an issue.)
> Pears similar ciao,
>
> --steffen

Steffen,

i also used to suffer from this unexplained stuff, and yes i used
comstyle/spacehopper

thanks... this motivated me to use cvsync from anoncvs and use a
CVSROOT=/home/amit/MYLOCALREPO to update from cvs. Much much faster
and while initial checkout from cvsync takes 5-10 hrs, the subsequent
updates are lightning quick.

--amit