On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:34 AM, Loganaden Velvindron
<logana...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I came across this:
> http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2012/02/mentoring-organization-applications-now.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GoogleOpenSourceBlog+%28Google+Open+Source+Blog%29
>
> The deadline is the 29th.
>
> I'd be interested in accelerating the port of capsicum :-)

Check archives like
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&w=2&r=1&s=Google+Summer+of+code&q=b ,
OpenBSD tried to apply at least two times or so, but was not chosen.

The question is if there's real potential in that for some really new
stuff. Personally I think that developers which hacks in their free
time work on needed features anyway even without GSoC and probably
don't have free summer because of that and regular job (but probably
money from GSoC may be of some use for them as for anyone). Then
there's quality - OpenBSD model proved during years that really only
skilled people (or those which want to be skilled) are getting inside
dev team and we can use high quality results of that. Seems like
OpenBSD has much more higher standards for quality of code,
documentation and skills of programmers then GSoC can offer most of
the times.

Examples of outputs related to BSD are eg. here:

http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/posix_spawn_syscall_added
http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog/2011/09/15/8368.html

but when testing those you can see that they are mostly not so stable
as OpenBSD wants. Here something gets implemented when it's really
ready and stable as much as possible. This doesn't seems to be same
for GSoC results. Style is something like
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_early,_release_often