On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Raymond Lillard <r...@sonic.net> wrote:
> Why does starttls(8) describe only DSA ?
> Is this just because nobody has updated the man
> page, and are there reasons to prefer one over
> the other?

For quite a while, DSA *was* the Mandatory-To-Implement authentication
algorithm for TLS.  That changed only after RSA went out of patent
protection.  Updating the page would be a good thing, if anyone has
time...

> I am being pressured to "fix" this.
>
> Should I dig into this and figure out how to
> use both?  It looks like the easy thing to
> do is regenerate the certs with RSA alone.
> Is that advisable?

IMO, that's probably the best thing to do.  If you have some sort of
PKI infrastructure around your existing key(s), then it _might_ be
useful to rebuild sendmail to support configuring it with *both* RSA
and DSA keys, but I doubt it would be worth the complexity.

Philip Guenther