On 2012-04-17, David Diggles <da...@elven.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Martin
>
> Aha!  Sounds complicated, and a bit different to my situation,
> so I am replying back to the list. :/
>
> My ISP provides native dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 over PPPoE.  The
> IPv4 address is static, and the IPv6 address is dynamic.
>
> I've tested connecting with the PPPoE client on MacOSX and can
> then ping6 to test hosts. It works.
>
> I wish to get both working on OpenBSD, pppoe(4), but do not know
>   (a) if it supported, and if so,

Generally, yes it does, but I have no experience about doing this
with a dynamic IPv6 address - unless one was added while I wasn't
looking, PPP does *not* have a mechanism to assign an IPv6 address
(only assign unique interface identifiers which other protocols
can use to configure addresses).

>   (b) the hostname.if / ifconfig syntax to bring it up with IPv4 and IPv6 on
> the pppoe interface.

For static addressing, I'm using this at one place:

-- -- --
inet 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.1 \
pppoedev vr1 authproto chap authname bleh authkey bleh
!/sbin/route add default -ifp pppoe0 0.0.0.1
inet6 2001:4b10:1002:ff::1
!/sbin/route add -inet6 default 2001:4b10:1002:ff::1
-- -- --

At another site I'm putting a static v6 address on an internal
ethernet interface and just leaving the ppp interface unnumbered:

-- -- --
inet 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.1 \
pppoedev re0 authproto chap authname fttp27@a.1 authkey bleh
!/sbin/route add default -ifp pppoe0 0.0.0.1
!/sbin/route add -inet6 default -ifp pppoe0 fe80::1
-- -- --

(as this is a point to point interface, the exact address in the routes
doesn't matter as long as it's pointed out of the pppoe interface, either
by using an address assigned to that interface, or explicitly with -ifp)

You're going to need something like this too, but also need a way
to discover what address to use, probably using the same mechanism
you're using on MacOSX.

One possible method is DHCPv6 prefix delegation - there's nothing
in the base OS for this but you can try isc-dhcp-client or wide-dhcpv6
in packages, if you get it working I'd appreciate if you'd post a
few quick notes here on what you did.