Andre, as promised;

Here are the outputs you have asked for, but on the Geode 300MHz.

Throughputs, http downloading src.tar.gz from my ISP mirror in a loop:

Tue May 29 16:33:45 EST 2012 1.84 MB/s
Tue May 29 16:35:01 EST 2012 1.86 MB/s
Tue May 29 16:36:17 EST 2012 1.87 MB/s

The same test when I do pppoe on the Mac gets 3 MB/s.

Outputs of various stat commands while this was happening:

http://bincrow.net/test.log

Note: net.inet.ip.ifq.drops=193 does not change.  I think this was from
when I unplugged the cable earlier.

.d.d.